The first of many competitions that we hope to have in 2013. Following on from a wonderful event last year, Race Retro will return to Stoneleigh Park, Warwickshire, from 22 to 24 February 2013. Here is a little overview of what’s going on at the 10th Race Retro.
Chosen marques this year will be: Lotus and Alpine. To celebrate the rallying success of the Alpine, Club Alpine Renault are bringing the following…
- Well known Rally driver from 1970s, Roger Platt is bringing his Spanish 1968 Model A110 Berlinette, which has been much updated and has a 1600cc Engine.
- Former FIA WRC Rally Manager, ex- team manager of Ford and Audi Rally teams Charles Reynolds is bringing an ex works Alpine A110 berlinette 1800cc car driven by Jean Pierre Nicolas and co driven by Jean de Alexandris on the Rally Morroco 1971.
- Well know Alpine specialist Chris Rabetts is bringing the ex Pat Moss Carlsonn/Elizabeth Crellin A110 berlinette, run the 1970’s for the Roger Clark company Clarks of Narborough
- Former chairman of Club Alpine Renault Nigel Dodsworth is bringing an ex works A110 1800cc berlinette from the 1973 Championship winning year.
- John Wheeler is a prolific Alpine Enthusiast and restorer of the remarkable A110 berlinette from the team Dutch Rallycross team Vialle. It is a special 1800cc 16 valve car from 1977.
- Bob Gibson, a regular winner in all the UK hill climb and sprint events and a multiple champion, is bringing a much modified lightweight special berlinette A110.
New for 2013: they will be celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Hillman Imp with a display of 5 or 6 significant Imp racing and rally cars under the mezzanine in Hall 1. There will be ex works team cars or those famous in their day as championship saloon racers. Imps still have a healthy following amongst historic motor sport enthusiasts.
New for 2013: the British Racing Mechanics will provide at least three historic Coventry Climax racing engines for display and a GRD F3 car which they will strip and rebuild on the stand during the show. It’s a chance for people to get up close and even get their hands dirty as they see the build take shape.
New for 2013: Whistling Billy! They will have the 1905 steam-powered White racing car ‘Whistling Billy’. This car has undergone a full restoration and rebuild. Event organisers are hoping to include it in the Fire Up Paddock.
All for now, but I’m sure this has given you a flavour of what you can expect at Race Retro 2013. To win a pair of tickets to this wonderful event all you need to do is tell us here why you’d like to go.
You can ensure that you don’t miss out on chances to win tickets in our future competitions by subscribing to our RSS feed, subscribing to our newsletter or follow us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.