Are you a car enthusiast? Beyond that would you like to follow supercars and keep up to date on what is going on in the interesting world of them. Here are a few things that will explain in more detail what a supercar is and how to identify one.
A supercar is a high-end sports car. It is usually a hard to find car that is superior in performance to other cars. Many are exotic in appearance and are considered to be so today whereas they may not be considered one in the future.
A supercar is usually factory built and not modified by its owner. There are several factors that go into building one.
1. Acceleration: These cars are fast going up to 160 m.p.h. in less than 6 seconds.
2. Design: Many supercars have rear-wheel drive layout, and a rear mid-engine. This makes better weight distribution which gives better traction by moving the engine to the back of the car. They are not designed to be practical.
3. Power vs. Weight: These cars are powerful yet are very light in design. Built for quick acceleration this is achieved through high engine power and low vehicle mass.
4. Fast: The fastest supercar to date was clocked at 260+ m.p.h.
5. Handling: They have superior road gripping and maximum cornering ability.
6. Brand: Supercars are brand eccentric such as Ferrari, Bugatti, Maserati, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, and Lamborghini among others. Even common brands such as Ford and Honda have had models that are accepted as supercars.
7. Rarity: Cars can be fast and not be considered supercars. Cars that are mass-produced fall into this category.
8. Style: They are often ground breaking in how they look and are designed.
9. Price: You can pay several hundred thousand pounds to buy one.
Businessweek.com did an article in November 2006 that discussed the pitfalls of buying a supercar. You have to be aware of things like special insurance for example when you buy or lease one.
Because of the price leasing is more common, yet even if you think you can afford it you need to do your due diligence and slow down. Do not get caught up the excitement of such a rare purchase.
What do you think defines a supercar? Personally I think beauty, rarity, speed and all round wow factor. I’d like to get your thoughts.